By Rupert Connor
|Position||Size of Vessel||Salary Range|
|Stewardess||All yachts||$3,000 – $5,000 per month|
|Junior Stewardess||All yachts||$2,500 – $3,500 per month|
|Deckhand / Stewardess||110 ft – 250 ft+||$2,500 – $3,500 per month|
|60 ft – 110 ft||$2,000 – $3,000 per month|
- Yacht crew salaries start from €2,000 a month for Deckhands and Stewardesses, rising to €4,000+ for more senior roles. A Captain can make €10,000+ per month, depending on the size of the Superyacht. You live onboard the yacht so there are no living expenses.
- 1 Can you make a lot of money working on a yacht?
- 2 Is it hard to get a job on a yacht?
- 3 Is working on a yacht worth it?
- 4 Do yacht crews make a salary?
- 5 What qualifications do you need to work on a yacht?
- 6 How much do you tip yacht?
- 7 How much does a yacht deckhand make?
- 8 How do I become a Yachty?
- 9 What do yacht chefs make?
- 10 How much do stews on yachts make?
- 11 How do I get my first yacht job?
- 12 Do yachties pay taxes?
- 13 How old do you have to be to work on a yacht?
Can you make a lot of money working on a yacht?
One of the many benefits of working as yacht crew is financial; most yachties earn a good base salary and have next-to-no living expenses on board, making it quick and easy to save (and spend!) considerable sums of money.
Is it hard to get a job on a yacht?
The yachting industry is not a career for everyone. Rookies will find that work on a yacht is demanding, but offers great rewards. Finding a position on a yacht with no experience requires being prepared, having a detailed plan, and maintaining a positive attitude.
Is working on a yacht worth it?
Working on a yacht can be lucrative. Insider previously reported that deckhands earn an average of $3,083 to $3,574 a month, depending on the boat size. Captains reportedly get paid even more — they earn $7,750 to $19,961 a month on average.
Do yacht crews make a salary?
The deckhands usually make around $3,500-$4,500 a month, while a bosun would make a little bit more at approximately $5,000 a month. As for the Captain of the boat, they usually make between $150,000 to $210,000 a year for working on a 185-foot superyacht like My Seanna, assuming the Captain is working full-time.
What qualifications do you need to work on a yacht?
Essential Yacht Qualifications and Certifications Needed to Work as Crew
- STCW Basic Safety Training Yacht Certificate. The STCW yacht qualification is essential, and a yacht recruiter cannot start to find you work without this basic yacht certificate.
- A Seafarer Medical Certificate.
How much do you tip yacht?
According to the Mediterranean Yacht Brokers Association (MYBA) tipping guidelines, the general rule is to tip between 10% and 15% of your weekly charter fee, excluding running expenses and taxes.
How much does a yacht deckhand make?
How much does a deckhand make on a yacht? The average salary of deckhands on a yacht is $35,880 a year (around $18.40 an hour). Novice yacht deckhands can make about $20,378 a year. Experienced yacht deckhands can make up to $59,659 a year.
How do I become a Yachty?
What Qualifications Do I Need to Become a Yacht Stewardess? All crew need STCW basic safety training, a five-day course, and an ENG1 medical certificate, and some yachts may also require certification in Food Safety & Hygiene, a one-day course.
What do yacht chefs make?
On a vessel of up to 35 meters, a monthly yacht chef salary is between $5,000-7,000 before tips. This grows with the size of the boat – on 51-65 meter superyachts a salary of $7,500-8,500 per month is average, and on vessels over 100 meters yacht chef jobs can earn you from $8,500-10,000 monthly.
How much do stews on yachts make?
The captain of a yacht the size of those used on Below Deck earns between $150,000- $210,000 per year, and that’s before tips. A chief stew could expect to earn up to $6,000 per month, while the second or third stews would rake in around $5,000.
How do I get my first yacht job?
Getting a Yacht Job – The Recruitment Process
- Step 1 – Research. Are you cut out for the lifestyle?
- Step 2 – Prepare. Make sure you have the right training.
- Step 3 – Get out there. Yachting hot spots and dock walking.
- Step 4 – Apply and interview. Online opportunities.
- Step 5 – Set Sail. Get on board.
Do yachties pay taxes?
Some yachties faithfully file their tax returns each year while others simply pretend that living aboard a yacht makes them completely exempt from the responsibility of being a tax-paying citizen. If you’re an American citizen, the payment of tax is fairly cut and dried.
How old do you have to be to work on a yacht?
The minimum age to work aboard a yacht or superyacht is 16 years. However, people under the age of 18 years cannot work throughout the night.