5 steps to becoming a Yachtie
- Have the right attitude.
- Pass an ENG1 medical.
- Complete STCW Basic Safety Training.
- Gain experience.
- Go to a superyacht marina.
Are You Already half way to becoming a yacht crew member?
- If the answer to that question is yes, then you are already half-way to becoming a yacht crew member. Most crew members say that the Number 1 quality yacht owners and operators look for in their onboard staff members is a love for yachts and the ocean. But there’s more to working on a yacht than you might think.
- 1 What qualifications do you need to work on a yacht?
- 2 Do yacht crew get paid hourly and tips?
- 3 Do yacht owners tip their crew?
- 4 Can you work on yachts with tattoos?
- 5 What are the crew positions on a yacht?
- 6 How do I train to work on a yacht?
- 7 How can I get a job on a yacht with no experience?
- 8 How long is a yachting season?
- 9 What’s the biggest tip on below deck?
- 10 Do yacht crew sleep with guests?
- 11 Why are yachts limited to 12 guests?
- 12 Why can’t you wear shoes on a yacht?
What qualifications do you need to work on a yacht?
Essential Yacht Qualifications and Certifications Needed to Work as Crew
- STCW Basic Safety Training Yacht Certificate. The STCW yacht qualification is essential, and a yacht recruiter cannot start to find you work without this basic yacht certificate.
- A Seafarer Medical Certificate.
Do yacht crew get paid hourly and tips?
But don’t forget at the end of every charter, the whole crew gets a tip from the guests on the boat. On the seasons of Below Deck, the crew usually brings in around $15,000 per person in tips for about six weeks of work. That’s in addition to the crew’s regular salary.
Do yacht owners tip their crew?
The custom of guests leaving a tip for the crew at the end of their yacht vacation has become so ingrained in the industry that most crew working aboard charter yachts expect to be rewarded for their efforts with a pile of money on top of their salaries.
Can you work on yachts with tattoos?
The simple and short answer is yes, you can work on a Superyacht with tattoos…but it does depend on where your tattoos are. Yachts may be missing out on a great deckhand or stewardess if they don’t accept tattoos.
What are the crew positions on a yacht?
The Most Common Superyacht Crew Positions Are:
- First Officer.
- Second Officer / Mate.
- Chief Engineer.
- Second Engineer.
- Third Engineer.
- AV IT Engineer.
How do I train to work on a yacht?
Training is essential. Training to get on a boat, and more than anything, to stay on it. The two training essentials for entry-level interior crew are: An STCW five-day Basic Safety Training (BST) Course in order to obtain an STCW ’95 Basic Safety Training International Certificate of Competency.
How can I get a job on a yacht with no experience?
To Work on a Yacht Without Experience – Make a Plan
- Be in the right place. There are seasons in the yachting industry.
- Have a professional resume. Prepare a CV that portrays you as an energetic team player.
- Register with Luxury Yacht Group. Register with Luxury Yacht Group.
- Establish references.
- Maintain contact.
How long is a yachting season?
Yacht charter seasons explained Winter/summer seasons each last around six months and refer to both location and time of the year; summer yacht charter season spans from around April/May through October, while the winter season starts in November and runs through April.
What’s the biggest tip on below deck?
While Sykes left the highest tip, Rosbach still isn’t ready to welcome him back to the show. “I think the biggest tip in history we got, it was $35,000,” Rosbach shared on the Side Piece with Melissa Pfeister podcast. “And from the most unlikely source. Timothy Sykes!”
Do yacht crew sleep with guests?
Captain Lee Explains Why Crew Members Sleeping in Guest Cabins Is Such a Big Deal. The Below Deck captain says “guests rooms are off limits” for the crew — but he will make an exception. ” The guests’ rooms are off limits unless you have permission,” he said on a recent episode of Watch What Happens Live With Andy Cohen
Why are yachts limited to 12 guests?
Â The SOLAS convention involves adhering to a comprehensive list of stringent safety restrictions that are very expensive to implement and this is consequently reflected in the chartering cost increase between boats licensed for up to 12 passengers and boats licensed for more than 12 passengers.
Why can’t you wear shoes on a yacht?
One of the main reasons why the crew and guests have to leave their shoes in the shoe basket is to avoid damaging the yacht. Stiletto heels can dent wood floors and shoe soles can leave scuff marks on the deck. Also, the crew and guests need to take care when walking on lighter colored carpet too.