Christopher Columbus was the first explorer to attempt to reach East Asia by sailing west from Europe.
- 1 Who was the first to sail west to reach the East but never made it to Asia?
- 2 Who was the first European to reach China?
- 3 What European group was the first to send explorers to North America a French B The Spanish D the British?
- 4 Who led expeditions throughout Asia the Middle East and East Africa?
- 5 Who was the first person to sail around the world?
- 6 Where did Columbus first land in the Americas?
- 7 Who was the first Western explorer to reach India?
- 8 Who was the first Western explorer to reach China *?
- 9 Who was the first explorer to sail through the Indian Ocean to India?
- 10 Who were the first to reach North America?
- 11 Who was the first explorer to reach America?
- 12 Who was the first explorer in North America?
- 13 Who was the most famous explorer?
- 14 Who was the greatest explorer in history?
Who was the first to sail west to reach the East but never made it to Asia?
The explorer Christopher Columbus made four trips across the Atlantic Ocean from Spain: in 1492, 1493, 1498 and 1502. He was determined to find a direct water route west from Europe to Asia, but he never did.
Who was the first European to reach China?
1513: Jorge Álvares is the first European to land in China at Tamão in the Zhujiang (Pearl River) estuary. 1516-17: Rafael Perestrello, a cousin of Christopher Columbus, leads a small Portuguese trade mission to Canton (Guangzhou), then under the Ming Dynasty.
What European group was the first to send explorers to North America a French B The Spanish D the British?
The Vikings are thought to be the first European explorers to arrive in North America, having landed in what is now Newfoundland, a present province of Canada, over 500 years before Columbus.
Who led expeditions throughout Asia the Middle East and East Africa?
Zheng He (c. 1371-1433) Known as the Three-Jewel Eunuch Admiral, Zheng He was China’s greatest explorer. Commanding the world’s mightiest fleet of 300 ships and as many as 30,000 troops, Admiral Zheng made 7 epic voyages to southeast Asia, south Asia, the Middle East and Africa between 1405 and 1433.
Who was the first person to sail around the world?
Ferdinand Magellan (1480–1521) was a Portuguese explorer who is credited with masterminding the first expedition to circumnavigate the world. Magellan was sponsored by Spain to travel west across the Atlantic in search of the East Indies.
Where did Columbus first land in the Americas?
On October 12, 1492, Italian explorer Christopher Columbus made landfall in what is now the Bahamas. Columbus and his ships landed on an island that the native Lucayan people called Guanahani. Columbus renamed it San Salvador.
Who was the first Western explorer to reach India?
Vasco da Gama was best known for being the first to sail from Europe to India by rounding Africa’s Cape of Good Hope. Over the course of two voyages, beginning in 1497 and 1502, da Gama landed and traded in locales along the coast of southern Africa before reaching India on May 20, 1498.
Who was the first Western explorer to reach China *?
Italian traveling merchants Niccolò and Maffeo Polo, the father and uncle of Marco Polo. In 1266, they reached the seat of Kublai Khan, the leader of the Mongol Yuan dynasty, at Dadu, present day Beijing, China.
Who was the first explorer to sail through the Indian Ocean to India?
The Portuguese navigator Vasco da Gama, sailing around Africa in 1497, signed on an Arabian pilot at Malindi before he crossed the Indian Ocean to reach the western shores of India.
Who were the first to reach North America?
The first Europeans to land on the mainland of North America were the Viking explorer Leif Eriksson and his party. Leif was one of Erik the Red’s sons and had accompanied him to Greenland. The exploits of Erik and Leif are the subjects of Norse sagas, which are stories or histories in prose.
Who was the first explorer to reach America?
It’s an annual holiday that commemorates the day on October 12, 1492, when the Italian explorer Christopher Columbus officially set foot in the Americas, and claimed the land for Spain.
Who was the first explorer in North America?
Leif Eriksson Day commemorates the Norse explorer believed to have led the first European expedition to North America.
Who was the most famous explorer?
10 Famous Explorers Whose Discoveries Changed the World
- Marco Polo. Photo: Leemage/UIG via Getty Images.
- Christopher Columbus. Photo: DeAgostini/Getty Images.
- Amerigo Vespucci. Photo: Austrian National Library.
- John Cabot. Photo by © CORBIS/Corbis via Getty Images.
- Ferdinand Magellan.
- Hernan Cortes.
- Francis Drake.
- Walter Raleigh.
Who was the greatest explorer in history?
10 greatest explorers of all time
- Marco Polo (1254-1324):
- Vasco Da Gama (1460-1524):
- Christopher Columbus (1451-1506):
- Amerigo Vespucci (1454-1512):
- James Cook (1728-1779):
- Jeanne Baret (1740-1807):
- Charles Darwin (1809-1882):
- Ferdinand Magellan (1480-1521):